File For Free With The FoodBank's Free Tax Assistance
The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties launched a free income tax assistance program aimed at helping low and moderate income workers maximize their tax benefits.
The VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) will be offered at six sites, three in Monmouth County and three in Ocean County, throughout the tax season. IRS-certified tax professionals will help filers complete their state and federal returns.
To qualify, households with dependents must earn $51,000 or less, and households with no dependents must earn $30,000 or less.
FoodBank representatives and volunteers will ensure that filers who are eligible will receive important tax credits that they are entitled to, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). In addition, The FoodBank team will connect people with other critical benefits such as SNAP (food stamps), legal assistance, Hurricane Sandy-related aid and emergency food, if needed.
The FoodBank’s VITA program is run in partnership with the IRS, Cowan, Gunteski & Co, PA, and the host sites, and is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation and Singlestop USA.
VITA is available at the following sites through April 15:
- Ocean County Library, 101 Washington St., Toms River (Monday & Wednesday 4 – 8 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
- Berkeley Head Start, 264 First St., South Toms River (Tuesday 4 – 8 p.m.)
- Lakewood Library, 301 Lexington Ave., Lakewood (Tuesday & Thursday 4 – 8 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- SCAN Adult Education Center, Monmouth Mall, Eatontown (Monday & Thursday 4 – 8 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Lunch Break, 103 Drs. James Parker Blvd., Red Bank (Tuesday & Thursday 1- 4 p.m.)
- Hispanic Affairs, 913 Sewall Ave., Asbury Park (Monday & Wednesday 4 – 8 p.m.)
Filers should bring all required documents including a valid photo ID; copies of previous returns; all income statements including W-2, Social Security and unemployment income; 1099 forms, birth dates and Social Security numbers for all dependents and a check showing a Bank Routing Number for direct deposit, if applicable.
For more information, call The FoodBank, 732-918-2600 or visit www.foodbankmoc.org.