Get Your Super Bowl Eats in Monmouth County
Patch wants to help you kick back long before kick-off this weekend. Check out our sampling of where to get your munchies.
With Super Bowl Sunday it's hard to say whether it's food or football that rules the day. But one thing is for sure, a football party without food is a fumble.
And while some will be slaving over their hot stoves all day leading up to the game, many party planners will be ordering in.
Cluck-U Chicken, less of a store and more of Monmouth County poultry institution, plans on dishing out cases of their wings this weekend at their Eatontown and Red Bank establishments. Based on recent Super Bowl sales, Andrew Ilvento, owner of the Red Bank restaurant, plans to sell 5,000 wings from his store alone.
Ilvento said that one reason customers return again and again to this small business is because the wings he and his staff cook up are jumbo size, unlike some competitors. But Ilvento's hot sales might also be due to an unfair advantage - the Cluck-U Chicken on a bike.
"We have a chicken out there everyday," Ilvento said. "My mortgage depends on that chicken."
To get your party started Patch has put together a list of local caterers, including Cluck-U, ready to take your order and a bite-sized sampling of their menus. Enjoy.
- Cluck-U has 100 of its buffalo boneless wings for $73 and 100 breast bites, their version of the chicken tender, for $80. You can view all their menu choices online but your best bet is to call your order in. For big orders like these, call an hour or two ahead of time.
- Mumford's Culinary Center in Tinton Falls has coconut chicken tenders, half pan for $36, and Oxacan-style pulled pork with fire-roasted corn and black beans and presented with club rolls to make your own sandwich. Half pan (8 rolls) $68, full pan (16 rolls) $136. Orders must be in by Feb. 3.
- D'Jeet in Shrewsbury is offering chili for 10 (with your personal spice preference) and traditional accompaniments for $38 and mahi fish tacos with sautéed peppers, onions and pico de gallo $8.50 each. Orders need to be in by Feb. 2.
- Surf Taco, with stores in Long Branch and Red Bank, offers catering from its regular menu. Need some apps? How about Max Dip, seven layers of fresh ingredients: pinto beans, guac, sour cream, pico de gallo, jack and cheddar cheeses, jalapeños and a side of chips for dipping, $7.50. And for the kids how about their mini quesadilla, melted jack and cheddar in an 8-inch flour tortilla, served with chips, $2.75. Add chicken or steak for a $1.35 more. And don't forget the almost famous salsa. Orders need to be in by Feb. 2.
- Whole Foods in Middletown is making up trays of fancy deli sliders with tuna salad, chicken salad, roast turkey and ham and cheese, served on mini brioche buns with lettuce and tomato. The cost is $20 for 12 and it serves up to eight. For the bigger party, the deli is making three-foot subs with Italian Genoa salami and sweet sopressata, sliced paper-thin and topped with fresh mozzarella, baby arugula and roasted peppers on a ciabatta hero, along with balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the side. The cost is $60 and it serves 10–15. If you search the store's Web site, type in party packs for the full menu. Orders require 48-hour notice.
- Rumson Market is cooking up stromboli, $9 for a whole, and loaded potato skins, $2 each, to keep you and your guests satisfied right into overtime. But the finest part of the market's menu might just be the 10 percent discount you'll snag for wearing your Giants jersey to pick up your order. Go Big Blue! Orders should be in by Feb. 2.
- Ye Olde Pie Shoppe in Little Silver has football cookies with a "Go Giants" message and iced sugar cookies shaped like helmets, featuring both the Giants in blue and white helmets with the Patriots logo, $2.50 each. Winning fans get to eat the other team's cookies.
- Cupcakes of Little Silver is baking up batches of Giants cupcakes in chocolate or vanilla. The treats with Giants decal are available for $2.98 each at Sickles Market.
Do you know or operate another local business that is offering a can't miss Super Bowl deal? Tell us about it in the comments.