Middletown Student Athletes and Coaches Get a Round of Applause
The Board of Education congratulated the All-Shore athletes and their coaches at a meeting on Jan. 28, 2013.
- January 30, 2013
The Middletown Board of Education and administration expressed their admiration for the 28 hard-working student athletes and their dedicated coaches at Middletown High School North and South at a short ceremony at the North Library on Jan. 28.
Students proudly wearing their Varsity jackets were invited to come forward to receive a handshake from the Superintendent, the principals, and the board president, and accept a certificate of commendation. While most of the top-ranked athletes are seniors, 11 of them are not, and will continue to represent Middletown.
Coach Bill Clifton was singled out for being selected the Asbury Park Press Girls' Cross Country Coach of the Year for the way he helped his runners persevere despite the adversity wrought by Hurricane Sandy.
The superintendent also praised the parents for their part in producing great athletes. "For making sure they made those vigorous practice schedules during the season and during the summer," George said. "You should be very grateful to your parents for their efforts."
Absent were the two football coaches, Steven Antonucci of HS South, and the Joe Trezza of HS North. Trezza, a teacher, announced last week that he has resigned his head football position at North.
Superintendent William O. George said there is a staff opening in the guidance department, and a job may be posted soon for someone who could join the faculty but also coach the HS North Lions. The position may also be posted in the spring, when retirements are announced and professionals consider new job openings. He said he is aware other local high schools are also in the market for a Varsity football coach.
"We want to make sure we create a competitive process, where we have an outstanding candidate," said George. "Not just somebody. The best, most qualified person."
See More on Patch
- Congratulations to Middletown's Teachers of the Year
- Middletown High Schools Get High Marks on New School Performance Reports
- Pact Could Bring New Turf Athletic Fields to Middletown
- Wednesday: School Board Votes on Budget, Football Coach Post
- The Great Race Proceeds Are Tallied. How Much Did Your School Earn?
Most Popular articles
- Middletown BOE Votes to Not Rehire Harmony School Principal
- Police Nab Two Alleged Heroin Dealers; One Gave Chase Through Neighborhood
- Opening Day of Doggie Swim Park at Chapel Hill Kennel
- Cell Tower Catches Fire in Lincroft Thursday
- Driver Extricated from Car Following Accident on Navesink River Rd.