Invite a friend
August Wilson Tribute
The Middletown Township Public Library will host a celebration of August Wilson with cast members from Two Trains Running on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Two River Theater will present its second annual tribute to the great playwright August Wilson, as cast members from Two Trains Running share stories and memories of working with him, and talk about the enduring legacy of his plays. This event is free to the public at the Middletown Township Public Library.
Wilson was an American playwright whose work included a series of ten plays, The Pittsburgh Cycle, for which he received two Pulitzer Prizes for Drama. Each is set in a different decade, depicting the comic and tragic aspects of the African-American experience in the twentieth century. Nine plays are set in Pittsburgh's Hill District, an African-American neighborhood that takes on a mythic literary significance. The plays aim to sketch the Black experience in the 20th century; Wilson was fascinated by the power of theater as a medium where a community at large could come together to bear witness to events and currents unfolding.
Two Trains Running will be produced at the Two River Theater Company from February 2 through March 3, 2013, and directed by Ruben Santiago-Hudson. For more information, please visit www.trtc.org.
The tribute will take place in the library’s Community Room at 55 New Monmouth Road, Middletown, NJ 07748. Funding for the library's public programs comes from the generous support of the Middletown Township Public Library Foundation, Inc.
More About Middletown Township Public Library
The main branch of four in the township, Middletown Township Public Library underwent a massive renovation in 2005. The present-day building which is centrally-located on New Monmouth Road has plenty of space and amenities for the township's residents as well as the general public. In addition to free wireless connection, computer access is available in two-hour blocks for residents and one-hour time slots for non-residents as are a large collection of fiction, non-fiction and audio books, as well as videos, CDs, DVDs. Special events, such as author talks, community recognition celebrations, computer classes and township book group meetings are held at the main branch on a regular basis. The staff and library facilities also cater to various age groups: kids, teens, adults and 50+ patrons. There is also a Job Help Center on the premises.
Other events here
- Monday Movies @ MTPL Weekly on Mondays, 2:30 pm–4:30 pm
- Puzzle Egg Hunt @ MTPL Today, May 20, 4:00 pm–4:30 pm
- Monmouth Conservatory Student String Orchestra Today, May 20, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Humpty Dumpty @ Other Egg-Cellent Friends-Dress for Mess Tomorrow, May 21, 10:00 am–10:30 am
- Humpty Dumpty @ Other Egg-Cellent Friends-Dress for Mess Tomorrow, May 21, 10:45 am–11:15 am
- Student Loans and Maximizing Financial Aid Tomorrow, May 21, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Conversational English Classes at Middletown Public Library Weekly on Tuesdays, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Mother Goose Story time at the Middletown Library April 5, 2012 / April 12, 2012 / April 23, 2012 / May 3, 2012 / May 7, 2012 / May 14, 2012 / May 23, 2012 / May 31, 2012 / July 9, 2012 / July 17, 2012 / July 25, 2012 / August 3, 2012 / August 7, 2012 / August 13, 2012 / August 23, 2012 / September 10, 2012 / September 18, 2012 / September 26, 2012 / October 2, 2012 / October 12, 2012 / October 16, 2012 / November 6, 2012 / November 16, 2012 / November 20, 2012 / November 28, 2012 / December 3, 2012 / December 14, 2012 / December 28, 2012 / January 8, 2013 / January 16, 2013 / January 25, 2013 / January 28, 2013 / February 5, 2013 / February 11, 2013 / February 19, 2013 / February 26, 2013 / March 5, 2013 / March 11, 2013 / March 18, 2013 / March 26, 2013 / April 2, 2013 / April 8, 2013 / April 19, 2013 / April 24, 2013 / April 29, 2013 / May 7, 2013 / May 13, 2013 / May 22, 2013 / May 31, 2013, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- The Noble Writers Weekly on Wednesdays, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Read To A Dog @ the Middletown Library January 16, 2013 / March 20, 2013 / April 17, 2013 / May 22, 2013, 4:00 pm–5:00 pm