Have you thought about what to cook for your Independence Day celebration?
Independence Day, or Fourth of July, is commonly celebrated with fireworks, parades, barbeques and picnics with friends or family. It's festive to make and eat red, white and blue foods this coming Wednesday too.
You can find a lot of desserts in your local supermarket for the holiday or you can make your own. I have a few fun and easy ideas to make with your family.
1. You can make or buy an angel food cake or a pound cake. Next cut it into cubes or pieces and add blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream. This can be served in individual dishes or one large one.
2. Another idea is to make a cake shaped like our nation's flag. Buy white cake mix and make it in a rectangle shaped pan. After baking, let it cool and cover the top with cool whip. Add blueberries for the stars of the flag. Cut strawberries into quarters and use to make stripes on your cake. My kids loved making this one.
3. Here's a fun one: Take strawberries and dip into melted white chocolate partway. Dip into blue sprinkles next, add a lollipop stick in each berry and put on a wax paper covered tray, then refrigerate until hardened.
4. A fruit salad with strawberries or watermelon and blueberries adds a nice touch to your picnic or barbeque.
5. Cut out watermelon stars and put each one on a popsicle stick. Just use a star shaped cookie cutter.