A Freehold Township resident has died after contracting bacterial meningitis, according to the Freehold Township Board of Health.
Freehold Township Health Officer Margaret Jahn, necessary precautions have been taken to insure the safety of others in the wake of the death.
“Bacterial meningitis can be contagious but only if the person infected is in very close contact with others,” Jahn said. “All those close to the victim have been contacted, notified and referred to their physicians.”
Due to patient privacy laws, the Board of Health is unable to release the name of the victim.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), states that there were about 4,100 cases of bacterial meningitis, including 500 deaths, in the United States between 2003 and 2007. The most effective way to protect against bacterial meningitis is complete the recommended vaccines for the three types of bacteria that can cause meningitis. For more information visit the CDC’s website.