Naval Weapons Station Earle - Waterfront Complex
Naval Weapons Station Earle is located on Route 36, near Broadway Avenue in the Leonardo section of Middletown. The weapons station is divided into two sections: Mainside (located near Tinton Falls, Colts Neck, Howell and Wall) and "Waterfront Area," in Leonardo. It was constructed in 1943, during World War II, when it was decided an ammunition depot was needed in the greater New York metropolitan area. The location was chosen because Sandy Hook Bay provided a safe, sheltered port.
The most notable feature of the waterfront area of Naval Weapons Station Earle is the 2.9-mile pier that resembles a pitchfork, jutting out into the bay. The design is intended to allow ammunition to be loaded and unloaded from warships at a safe distance from land. Presently, the Navy Munitions Command located at the station supplies ammunition for almost every class of ship in the US Navy and Coast Guard.
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1943
- Services: Military Base
- Parking: Free lot